Top 25 rankings: Cass Tech, Detroit CC remain Nos. 1 and 2Football  |
1. Detroit Cass Tech (9-0), A: The Technicians, behind the consistent play of quarterback Rodney Hall, defeated Detroit King. 41-20, to claim the PSL Division 1 title.
2. Detroit Catholic Central (9-0), A: Chris Jakubik led C.C. past Warren De La Salle, 17-7, on Oct. 16 and his 11-yard TD reception with 22 seconds left gave the Shamrocks a 17-14 victory over Orchard Lake St. Mary’s for the Catholic League title. The Shamrocks are 9-0 for the ninth time since 1991.
3. Utica Eisenhower (9-0), A: Eisenhower is 9-0 for the first time since 2004 as it pounded Utica Ford, 66-0.
4. Muskegon (8-1), A: The Big Reds whipped Jenison, 63-17, and will be favored to reach the Division state final again.
5. Walled Lake Western (8-1), A: The Warriors, like the Big Reds, are a favorite to reach a final, in this case a Division 2. Western whipped a good Brighton team, 37-7.
6. Saline (9-0), A: The Hornets are playing their best at the right time. They beat a good Birmingham Groves club, 38-3, and might be ready to face any team in the Division 1 playoffs, including Cass Tech.
7. Lowell (9-0), A: After two close victories, the Red Arrows blew past Grand Rapids Northview, 51-22. Lowell and Western are the favorites in Division 2.
8. Grandville (8-1), A: Grandville defeated Holland West Ottawa, 49-8, and it’s one-point loss to Rockford seems so long ago. Grandville is the real sleeper in Division 1.
9. Davison (9-0), A: Tariq Reid rushed for a career-high 291 yards (and 4 TDs) as Davison defeated Flint Powers, 42-7. The Cardinals completed their third undefeated regular season.
10. Hudsonville (8-1) A: The Eagles defeated Rockford 14-7 to claim a share of the O-K Red Division title. Since 1997 Hudsonville is 8-1 for the fifth time. The Eagles have never been 9-0.
11. Allen Park (9-0), A: The Jaguars bested Taylor Truman 69-14 and are 9-0 for the eighth time in school history.
12. Detroit King (7-2), A: King, for the second time this season, lost to Cass Tech. This time the Crusaders lost 41-20. The good news is they won’t have to play the Technicians in the playoffs.
13. River Rouge (8-1), B: River Rouge defeated Riverview, 35-12, and are 9-0 for just the second time in school history.
14. DeWitt (8-1), A: The Panthers won their seventh straight, 49-14 over Portage Northern, and haven’t given up more than 14 points during this stretch.
15. Canton (7-2), A: Markus Sanders rushed for two TDs and Canton defeated Northville, 42-27, for its seventh consecutive victory. Canton has made the playoffs 16 of the last 17 seasons.
16. Dearborn (8-1), A: After an emotional victory over Dearborn Fordson, Dearborn escaped Washtenaw County with a 30-27 victory over Ann Arbor Skyline, a victory that will likely earn the Pioneers home field advantage in the first round of the playoffs.
17. Macomb Dakota (6-3), A: The Cougars seem to have things figured out. They defeated Macomb L’Anse Creuse North, 55-6, and head into the playoffs on an upbeat.
18. Dearborn Fordson (8-1), A: Hamze Elzayat threw for three TDs and ran for another to lead the Tractors past Monroe, 35-10.
19. Detroit Country Day (9-0), B: The Yellowjackets trailed Temperance Bedford 14-7 at halftime before squeaking past the Kicking Mules, 21-20. Steve Mann ran for one TD, passed for another, passed for a 2-point conversion and had an interception.
20. Traverse City Central (8-1), A: Central defeated Cadillac 49-6 and is 17-1 in its last 18 regular season games.
21. Birmingham Groves (8-1), A: The Falcons lost to Saline 38-3 and must regroup in time for Division 2 playoffs, which begin on Friday.
22. Portage Central (8-1), A: The Mustangs defeated St. Joseph 24-14 and head into the playoffs having won five straight.
23. Southfield for the Arts and Technology (6-3), A: The Warriors defeated Oak Park 28-14 and have won four straight heading into the playoffs.
24. Orchard Lake St. Mary’s (5-4), A: The Eaglets lost to Detroit Catholic Central, 17-14, in the Catholic League final and are favored to reach the Division 3 final again despite their four losses.
25. Rockford (6-3), A: The Rams lost to Hudsonville 14-7 but the Rams will undoubtedly be a factor in the Division 1 playoffs.