State Champs! Hockey Rankings: Hartland takes over top spot passing Detroit CC
1. Hartland. Coach Rick Gadwa and the Eagles earned the top spot after going 3-0-1 since our last rankings, and a 19-2-1 record overall.
2. Detroit Catholic Central. The Shamrocks are 3-1 since our last rankings, dropping a rematch to Grandville, but they remain the team to beat in Division 1.
3. Birmingham Brother Rice. The Warriors went 2-0 in-state since our last rankings with wins over Rochester United and U-D Jesuit. The defending champ will be tough to beat at playoff time in Division 2.
4. Saginaw Heritage. The Hawks are 4-0 in-state since our last rankings, and an incredible 18-1 record in state overall.
5. Livonia Stevenson. The Spartans knocked off Grand Rapids Catholic Central and Livonia Churchill, and lost to Catholic Central, but remain one of a few teams that could win it all in Division 2.
6. Romeo. Romeo is unbeaten in its last eight including a tie with Hartland. The Bulldogs continue to prove they are a legitimate threat.
7. Brighton. The Bulldogs remain a threat to everybody, and are led by do-it-all Lee Pietila.
8. Northville. The Mustangs have won 8-of-9, and the goaltending of Brett Miller will keep them in games against anybody.
9. Grand Rapids Catholic Central. The Cougars suffered two tough losses to Detroit Catholic Central and Livonia Stevenson but rebounded nicely with three straight wins.
10. Grandville. With wins over Rochester United and Catholic Central in Livonia, the Bulldogs made a big statement.
11. Marquette. The Redmen are a definite threat in the top-heavy Division 2 ranks. They are playing their best hockey as of late.
12. U-D Jesuit. The Cubs went 1-3 since our last rankings, but remain one of the teams to vie for the Division 1 crown.
13. Hancock. The Bulldogs went 3-2 since our last ranking and have shown that they can compete with anybody.
14. Orchard Lake St Mary’s. The Eaglets went 3-0 in state since our last rankings, with wins over Calumet, Dearborn Divine Child and Warren De La Salle.
15. Trenton. The Trojans are heating up at the right time with 3 wins in a row over Brighton, De La Salle and Grosse Pointe South.
16. Calumet. The Copper Kings went 2-2 since our last rankings, but remain a legitimate threat in Division 3.
17. Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood. The Division 3 playoffs are looming, and the defending champs have won three in a row.
18. Livonia Churchill. The Chargers went 3-1 since our last rankings, with the only loss coming to Livonia Stevenson, 3-2.
19. Allen Park. The Jaguars have won four straight to improve to a remarkable 19-1-2.
20. Houghton. Coach Corey Markham has his Gremlins playing well at the right time, going 3-1-1 in their last five.
21. Sault Ste. Marie. 3-1 since our last rankings, and yet another Division 3 threat from the U.P.
22. Salem. The Rocks have won three straight for Coach Ryan Ossenmacher. Those victories were over and Grosse Pointe South, Grandville and Rochester United.
23. Flint Powers. The Chargers have been besieged by injury, but are looking to get healthy again come playoff time.
24. Plymouth. The Wildcats are heating up at the right time and are 3-1 since our last rankings.
25. Berkley Unified. Coach Jeff Fleming has a high-flying scoring machine at the right time of the season.
Next 5: Escanaba, Grosse Pointe South, Howell, Warren De La Salle, Wyandotte Roosevelt.
Breakdown by Division
Division 1: 6 Teams
Division 2: 10 Teams
Division 3: 9 Teams