State Champs! Top 25 Boys Hockey Team Rankings: Detroit CC remains on top, Brother Rice is top team in D2
1. Detroit Catholic Central. Shamrocks finish the 2015 portion of the season at 8-0 and are unquestionable the state’s best.
2. Birmingham Brother Rice. The Warriors remain the team to beat in Division 2.
3. Grand Rapids Catholic Central. The best of Division 3 so far, Coach Mike Slobodnic is doing great things on the west side.
4. Hartland. At 9-1, Hartland has a showdown looming against Brother Rice.
5. Rockford. Rams are sitting at 9-0 and averaging over six goals a game.
6. Trenton. Three of the top six ranked teams are from Division 2, and deservedly so. Trojans only losses are to Brother Rice and Catholic Central.
7. Howell. It’s a 9-1 start for the re-emerging Highlanders in Division 1.
8. Romeo. Another D-2 power, Coach Badder has his club sitting at 7-0.
9. Brighton. The Bulldogs have won seven of their last eight games.
10. Northville. Coach Jon Gates has the Mustangs sitting pretty with a 6-2-1 start.
11. Wyandotte Roosevelt. At 7-0-1, coach Mike Quint continues to get the job done.
12. Livonia Stevenson. The Spartans are 6-3-1 and clearly one of the teams to beat in the incredibly tough Division 2 ranks.
13. East Kentwood. The 9-2 Falcons are one of many tough squads in the Grand Rapids area.
14. Calumet. The Cooper Kings continue to show why many feel that they might be the best in the talent rich U.P.
15. Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood. Once the playoffs hit, all eyes, yet again, will be on the Cranes in Division 3.
16. Orchard Lake St Mary’s. With wins over Brighton and Brother Rice, and a tie against Livonia Stevenson, the Eaglets have shown they can play with anybody.
17. Flint Powers. Coach Travis Perry has a squad that can make another deep run in Division 3.
18. Chelsea. Bulldogs are off to a 10-0 start thanks, in part, to the tremendous goaltending of Derek Schaedig.
19. Grosse Pointe South. The Blue Devils are 7-2-1 and are another loaded squad in the deep Division 2 ranks.
20. Hancock. The Hancock/Calumet tilt should be a beauty the day after Christmas.
21. U-D Jesuit. The Cubs are sitting at 5-2-1 after a weekend sweep of Warren De La Salle.
22. Livonia Franklin. The Patriots looking like another Division 2 threat as they sit at 7-2
23. Sault St Marie. The Blue Devils have three tight losses to Grand Rapids C.C., Rockford and Romeo.
24. Warren De La Salle. The Pilots remain in the top 25 by virtue of the 6-3 in-state record. Division 3 is not going to be easy this year.
25. Troy. The Colts make their debut in the top 25 after a 10-0 start. They’re a team to keep an eye on in Division 1.
The Next 5: Berkley, Livonia Churchill, Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett, Grandville, Traverse City Central.