State Champs! Top 25 High School Hockey Team Rankings: Detroit CC and Brother Rice off to strong starts
As the sesaon heads into the second week of December, here’s our first in-season rankings.
1. Catholic Central: The Shamrocks are off to a 6-0 start, convincingly.
2. Birmingham Brother Rice: With wins over Trenton and Livonia Stevenson, The Warriors make their case that they are still the team to beat in Division 2.
3. Grand Rapids Catholic Central: A 5-0 start for coach Mike Slobodnik and his squad as they make a case for supremacy in Division 3.
4. Warren De La Salle. The Pilots are off to an impressive 5-0 start.
5. Rockford: The Rams start the season with six impressive wins. The Rams are scoring a lot of goals in the process.
6. Trenton: The two losses so far are against Detroit C.C. and Brother Rice. No need to panic. The Trojans are one of many threats in Division 2.
7. Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood. The Cranes had a brutal schedule to start the season, They are still the team to beat in Division 3.
8. Berkley Unified: I felt the Bears would hit this list sooner, rather than later. A 3-0 start has them on track.
9. Livonia Stevenson: The Spartans off to a 4-2 start after a tough early slate.
10. Grandville: The Bulldogs only blemish so far is a loss to Grand Rapids Catholic Central.
11. Romeo: Bulldogs move up by virtue of their 3-0 start.
12. Plymouth: Coach Gerry Vento has the Wildcats unbeaten at 3-0
13. Howell: The Highlanders crack the top 25 with a 4-1 start on the year.
14. Flint Powers: The Chargers creep up the rankings after a 4-0 start.
15. Wyandotte Roosevelt: Coach Mike Quint has the Bears off to a 3-0-1 start.
16. Calumet: The Copper Kings are split with two quality squads in Hancock and Cranbrook Kingswood showing that they will be a force to be reckoned with this year.
17. Hartland: A 5-1 start on the year, and with the only loss coming to Howell.
18. Livonia Franklin: The Patriots were a team to look out for, and a 5-1 start has people noticing.
19. Chelsea: Coach Don Wright and his club jump into the top 25 after a 5-0 start.
20. Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett: A 4-1-1 start keeps the Knights in the top 20.
21. Brighton: Per usual, The Bulldogs start with an incredibly tough slate, and always seem the better for it come playoff time.
22. East Kentwood. The Falcons make their debut in the top 25 after a 5-2 start to the campaign.
23. Escanaba: The Eskymos are looking to prove that last years run was no fluke, a 4-1 start to this season helps that cause.
24. Grosse Pointe South: The Blue Devils are off to a 3-1-1 start in the very tough Metro League East.
25. Northville: Coach Jon Gates has his Mustangs off to a 3-1 start.