Top 25 HS Football Teams: Lowell keeps lock on top spot after a weekend of surpises
1. Lowell (2-0), A: The Red Arrows won at Rockford, 14-0, and have given up six points in two games. East Grand Rapids is next on Friday.
2. Muskegon (2-0), A: The Big Reds defeated Lincolnshire (IL) Stevenson, 28-7, on Saturday and will host Fruitport on Friday.
3. Detroit Cass Tech (1-1), A: The Technicians had trouble with Chicago Simeon but prevailed, 17-12. The Technicians have Detroit Henry Ford on Friday and won’t face a serious test until the PSL playoffs on Oct. 12.
4. Utica Eisenhower (2-0), A: Max Wittwer threw for four TD passes, Caleb Oyster played well at running back ripping off a 38-yard TD run and Jack Morris had three TD receptions as the Eagles pasted Macomb Dakota, 42-16. Eisenhower will host Roseville on Friday.
5. Walled Lake Western (2-0), A: Western ran past Milford, 44-8, and will host Waterford Kettering on Friday.
6. Detroit King (1-1), A: King lost to Toledo Central Catholic 21-13 and will host Detroit Douglass on Friday. Like Cass Tech, King won’t be seriously tested until the PSL playoffs.
7. Clinton Township Chippewa Valley (2-0), A: The Big Reds trailed Romeo 7-6 at halftime before coming back to take a 30-14 victory. Chippewa Valley will play at Warren Cousino in a MAC crossover on Friday.
8. Muskegon Mona Shores (2-0), A: The Sailors had yet another impressive victory, this time at Zeeland West (42-20). On Friday Mona Shores hosts Rockford in an OK Conference crossover.
9. Detroit Catholic Central (1-1), A: The Shamrocks fell to Toledo Whitmer, 14-7, and will play U-d Jesuit on Saturday at Ferndale.
10. Clarkston (2-0), A: Defensively the Wolves made the big plays as the Wolves defeated Southfield A&T, 17-7. On Friday the Wolves host a surprising Bloomfield Hills club that’s also 2-0.
11. Traverse City West (2-0), A: The Titans handed Grand Haven a 41-14 loss last week and this week they’ll face Traverse City Central (2-0) in the two schools’ annual showdown on Friday.
12. East Kentwood (2-0), A: The Falcons had one of their best wins in program history last week as they went to Orchard Lake St. Mary’s and defeated the Eaglets, 21-0. East Kentwood opens O-K Conference Red Division play at Hudsonville on Friday.
13. Dearborn Divine Child (2-0), B: The Falcons survived one of their top challenges this season as they defeated East Lansing, at East Lansing, 20-17. Divine Child hosts Detroit Edison on Friday.
14. Davison (2-0), A: The Cardinals defeated Mount Pleasant, 27-6, and could be put to the testr this week against Flint Carman-Ainsworth.
15. Oak Park (1-1), A: The Knights got past Rochester, 48-0, last week and will host Birmingham Seaholm on Friday.
16. Belleville (2-0), A: The Tigers whipped Redford Union, 55-6, last week and will play at Dearborn Edsel Ford on Friday.
17. Saline (1-1), A: The Hornets got untracked last week as they defeated Detroit Mumford, 33-0. Saline plays at Temperance Bedford on Friday.
18. Temperance Bedford (2-0), A: The Kicking Mules slipped past another team from Toledo last week. This time they defeated St. Francis, 19-18. Bedford host Saline on Friday in a game that will help decide the Southeastern Conference champion.
19. Livonia Churchill (2-0), A: The Chargers have started fast and whipped a good Northville team last week, 34-14, and will play at Livonia Stevenson on Friday.
20. Rockford (1-1), A: The Rams’ defense played well again but their offense still hasn’t jelled as Rockford lost to Lowell, 14-0. Rockford plays at Mona Shores this Friday.
21. Grand Rapids Christian (2-0), A: Christian defeated Caledonia, 42-34, and will host Wyoming in an O-K Gold Division opener on Friday.
22. Rochester Adams (2-0), A: The Highlanders defeated Lake Orion, 39-8, in another fine performance by the offense. This week Adams will host Oxford.
23. Detroit East English Village Prep (2-0), A: The Bulldogs won another close game last week defeating East Cleveland Shaw, 7-0. East English will host Detroit CMA on Friday as the PSL season begins.
24. East Grand Rapids (2-0), A: The Pioneers defeated Grand Rapids Forest Hills Northern, 38-20, and will play at Lowell on Friday.
25. Warren Mott (2-0), A: The Marauders are a young team and likely a year away from competing for the MAC Red title but so far this season has been quite unpredictable so maybe they’ll mature quickly. Mott defeated Sterling Heights Stevenson, 35-14, last week and host Port Huron on Friday.