Top 25 HS Football Teams: Lowell, Muskegon ranked No. 1 and No. 2, respectively
1. Lowell (1-0), A: The Red Arrows methodically ran past Warren DeLaSalle, 36-6, and can validate that win with a victory at Rockford on Friday.
2. Muskegon (1-0), A: The Big Reds thumped Ann Arbor Pioneer, 56-0, and can avenge their only loss during the 2016 regular season by defeating Lincolnshire (IL) Stevenson at home on Saturday.
3. Detroit King (1-0), A: Quarterback DeQuan Finn was most impressive as King defeated Indianapolis Cathedral, 38-35, at Wayne State. King plays at Toledo Central Catholic on Friday.
4. Detroit Cass Tech (0-1), A: The Technicians need to quickly forget the three turnovers they had in last week’s 24-21 lost to Pickerington (OH) Central last week. They host Chicago Simeon under the lights on Friday and look for quarterback Aaron Jackson to get Cass Tech back on track.
5. Utica Eisenhower (1-0), A: Max Wittwer is yet another Mr. Football candidate who had a fine start to the season as he led the Eagles past Oak Park, 24-7. Eisenhower hosts Macomb Dakota on Friday.
6. Rockford (1-0), A: The Rams’ defense played well in their 14-0 victory over Saline. Now the offense must begin to gain some consistency, and quickly, as Rockford will host Lowell.
7. Walled Lake Western (1-0), A: Western used a late TD to defeat West Bloomfield, 19-14, and opens Lakes Valley Conference play at Milford on Thursday.
8. Detroit Catholic Central (1-0), A: The Shamrocks began the Dan Anderson ear in style by downing Sterling Heights Stevenson, and will host Toledo Whitmer on Friday.
9. Grandville (1-0), A: Grandville led Holt 39-0 before settling for a 53-13 victory. The Bulldogs should receive more of a challenge when they host Warren DeLaSalle on Thursday.
10. Clinton Township Chippewa Valley (1-0), A: The Big Reds slipped past Lake Orion, 20-17, and now opens MAC Red Division play at home against Romeo on Thursday.
11. Muskegon Mona Shores (1-0), A: Few teams had a more impressive victory in an opener than did the Sailors. Mona Shores defeated a good Canton team, 41-23, at Michigan Stadium. On Friday Mona Shores travels to Zeeland West and face another tight T-formation team.
12. Macomb Dakota (1-0), A: Dakota also had an impressive, hard-earned win as the Cougars went to Orchard Lake St. Mary’s and defeated the Eaglets, 31-24. Next is a MAC Red Division opener at Eisenhower.
13. Clarkston (1-0), A: The Wolves rolled past Lapeer 42-7 and will host Southfield A&T on Friday in an OAA Red Division opener.
14. Traverse City West (1-0), A: West showed it earned its preseason ranking by defeating Midland, 42-20, at Midland. The Titans will host Grand Haven on Thursday before taking on Traverse City Central.
15. Dearborn Divine Child (1-0), B: The Falcons had an unexpectedly easy time defeating Benton Harbor last Friday, 42-12, at Benton Harbor. Divine Child takes another road trip this week as East Lansing hosts Theo Day and Co. on Thursday.
16. Davison (1-0), A: Tariq Reid rushed for 127 yards and four TDs as Davison defeated Southfield A&T, 56-54, in triple OT. The Cardinals host Mount Pleasant on Thursday.
17. Oak Park (0-1), A: The Knights were never in rhythm in Saturday’s 24-7 loss to Eisenhower. They look to right the ship on Thursday at Rochester.
18. Belleville (1-0), A: The Tigers trailed Brighton by a touchdown late then sent the game to overtime on a fumble return for a TD. Belleville won in overtime, 34-31, despite committing an appalling 32 penalties. Redford Union is next for Belleville.
19. West Bloomfield (0-1), A: The Lakers couldn’t overcome a staunch defensive effort by W.L. Western and lost, 19-14. The Lakers host 2016 first-round playoff opponent Bloomfield Hills on Friday.
20. Saline (0-1), A: The Hornets wasted a few opportunities last week and lost to Rockford, 14-0. Cole Daniels played well in his first start at quarterback but look for Saline to establish the run game more this week as it hosts Detroit Mumford on Friday.
21. Romeo (1-0), A: The Bulldogs got off to a good start with a solid win over Oxford, 30-17. Now Romeo opens MAC Red Division play at Chippewa Valley on Thursday.
22. Grand Ledge (1-0), A: The Comets drilled Hudsonville, 41-14, last week and will go to DeWitt for a Thursday night game.
23. Temperance Bedford (1-0), A: The Kicking Mules defeated one Toledo team (St. John’s) last Friday and now will host another, St. Francis, this Friday.
24. Orchard Lake St. Mary’s (0-1), A: St. Mary’s had difficulty maintaining consistency on defense last week (31-24 loss to Dakota). The Eaglets host East Kentwood on Friday.
25. Detroit East English Village Prep (1-0), A: Coach Rod Oden’s offense was in gear last Saturday as they defeated River Rouge, 38-29. The Bulldogs host East Cleveland Shaw on Saturday.