• All

Reszcyk scores twice in final three minutes to give St. Mary’s 2-1 win over Brother Rice

By: Jeff Dullack, January 27, 2016, 10:46 pm

Orchard Lake – Coming off of an impressive 3-0 win over Detroit Catholic Central last week, Birmingham Brother Rice found itself closing in on a sixth straight lead as it held a 1-0 lead in the final minutes of Wednesday night’s game against rival Orchard Lake St. Mary’s.

But St. Mary’s Grant Reszcyk had other plans.

The Eaglet’s senior captain first tied the game up at 1-1 with just 2:49 left in the third period and then, with just 24.8 seconds remaining in regulation, netted the game-winner to lead St. Mary’s to a 2-1 win, snapping Brother Rice’s five game winning streak.

“We played hard the whole game, it was a good game,” St. Mary’s coach Brian Klanow said. “We were in need of a break and we got one.”

After spending the first 48 minutes of Wednesday’s game without a goal, despite several strong scoring chances that were turned away by Brother Rice goalie Daniel Sendek, St. Mary’s (8-9-1) finally found the equalizer it had been looking for with just under three minutes left to play as Reszcyk found the back of the net to tie the game up at 1-1.

Just two and a half minutes later, Reszcyk took a pass from Ryan McGorisk and sent a shot past the Brother Rice goaltender to give his team a 2-1 win.

“McGorisk came down in the corner and he had the puck for a while,” Reszcyk said. “But he saw me out in front and I kind of just sat a little bit higher in the slot and put it in the far side.”

Klanow said that with his team in the offensive zone in the closing seconds of the game, he made the decision to send his senior forward back out on the ice as he felt he would give the Eaglets their best chance to win in regulation.

“We pulled one player off in exchange for him,” he said. “He’s one of our main performers and goal scorers. We just felt with the puck down in the offensive zone, getting him out on the ice was going to be one of our better chances to score.”

Earning the win in net for St. Mary’s was Tanner Beals, who was playing in his first varsity game on Wednesday and turned away 27 of the 28 shots he faced for the Eaglets.

“This was just kind of an experimental game,” Beals said. “I hope in the future, I can play some more for the varsity team.”

The lone goal of the game for Brother Rice came with 10:25 left in the second period when Jaret Koger scored to give his team a 1-0 lead.

Brother Rice (12-4-1) coach Lou Schmidt said he wasn’t pleased with the way his team played on Wednesday night and added that he felt that the Eaglets were the better team throughout the third period.

“I don’t think we played well at all, from the drop of the opening faceoff to the final buzzer, he said. “I think we were still worn out from our last game, we haven’t had a game in a week and we came out and we looked like we were skating in cement the whole game. They (St. Mary’s) are a good team, they played hard and I’m not sure either team deserved to win, but they pulled it out, they played hard when they had to. We found ourselves chasing the whole third period, they were the better team in the third period for sure and they won.”