STATE CHAMPS! SCOUT TEAM: DJ Allen takes aim at Big Ten, as Leo DE decides it’ll be Rutgers
The visit was the deciding factor. The D.J. dropped the needle on his recruitment.
Leo defensive end Demetrious “D.J.” Allen committed to Rutgers over the weekend following a visit to campus. Allen (6-foot-7, 235 pounds) is a high-ceiling prospect, a three-star recruit with potential for four- or five-star output at the next level, the kind of kid who have previously been bound for a future in hoops, but instead is headed for the gridiron in New Jersey to play in the Big Ten. Oh, by the way, he gets busy on the hardwood too and is a knockout in the post for the Leo basketball squad.
A standout in the classroom as well, he sports a 4.0 grade-point average. In other words, Allen is a triple threat and a total beast on the field and off. Scouts love his height and length combined with an ultra-quick burst off the snap and fluidity in his technique. He also had offers from Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Vanderbilt and Iowa State, among others. Last fall as a junior, he recorded 66 tackles, eight sacks and 12 hurries.
The Offer Express
• Andrean linebacker Drayk Bowen bagged a Clemson offer.
• Merrillville defensive tackle Kenny Grant got offers from Ohio State and Wisconsin.
• Michigan City running back Jaden Hart earned his first DI offer from Iowa State, followed by Minnesota and Purdue.
• Lawrenceburg offensive lineman Ashton Craig took home a Michigan offer from a camp showing in Ann Arbor.
• Westfield safety Dillon Thieneman nailed down an offer from Marshall.
• Zionsville tailback Colin Price picked up his first offer from Eastern Illinois.