STATE CHAMPS! SCOUT TEAM: Indiana Basketball Recruiting Notebook >> Purdue plucks another Waddell; Heritage Hills’ Gordon picks CMU
Brian Waddell will be a Boilermaker after all.
Carmel’s 6-foot-5 senior captain and rock of consistency on the wing committed to Purdue last week, accepting his first high-major offer and deciding to follow in his dad’s footsteps. Just like his dad, he’s a true grinder and gym rat. But he’s more athletic and probably has a slightly better hardwood IQ at this age than his pops did, so his upside is substantial at the next level.
Waddell led Carmel to a state title earlier this month. Purdue offered the next day. He averaged 18 points and eight rebounds per night this winter and emerged as the feel-good story of the Indy area hoop scene with college recruiters finally taking notice.
Waddell’s dad Matt started in the backcourt with Boilermakers head coach Matt Painter in the mid-1990s when Purdue won back-to-back Big Ten titles (1994 and 1995) and reached the Elite 8 in the 1994 NCAA Tournament. Matt Waddell prepped at Tipton.
Central to the issue
Heritage Hills senior forward Rebekah Gordon signed with Central Michigan last week after decommitting from Auburn earlier this month following a coaching change.
The diversely-skilled 6-1 Gordon can go inside and out in the front court — she averaged 20 points and eight rebounds per game and shot 40 percent from beyond the arc in 2021. She was the Courier-Journal’s Player of the Year for southern Indiana and finished as Heritage Hills’ second all-time leading scorer.
In the offer department
• Noblesville sophomore girls hoopster Ashlynn Shade (24 ppg, four apg, four rpg) earned an offer from Notre Dame.
• South Bend Washington sophomore girls cager RaShunda Jones (18 ppg, four apg, four spg) reeled in a Purdue offer.
• Indianapolis Crispus Attucks sophomore boys hoopster Jalen Hooks (6-7) just locked down an offer from Georgia.
• North Central sophomore boys basketball up-and-comer Joey Brown bagged an offer from LSU.
• IUPUI spread out offers to Hooks, Carmel’s coldblooded junior shooting guard Pete Suder, Mt. Vernon’s intriguing junior off-guard Ahmad Jarrard, Heritage Christian silky smooth sophomore wing Myles Colvin and Bloomington North sophomore pogo-stick forward JQ Roberts.
• Jarrad also picked up an offer from Coastal Carolina.