STATE CHAMPS! SCOUT TEAM: Indiana Football Recruiting Notebook >> All-State RB Steele spurns PWO, signs with Ball State
Center Grove senior running back Carson Steele signed with Ball State at the last minute, sending the IHSAA’s grittiest rusher to the MAC on scholarship instead of the Big Ten as a preferred walk-on.
Steele (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) ran for a rough-rugged-&-raw 1,660 yards and 31 touchdowns in 2020, sparking his Center Grove squad to a 14-0 perfect season, a 6A state title and a national ranking. Indiana University wanted him as a preferred walk-on.
Steele was a four-year starter at Center Grove who missed most of his junior season due to injury. He finished his prep career with 5,907 yards on the grounds and scored 85 touchdowns in his days as a Trojan.
Although he was only considered 2-star recruit, Carson Steele is what being an all-time great high school athlete is all about. The Trojans’ STEELMAN is a true CIRCLE CITY LEGEND
It’s wide open now
Homestead junior wide receiver Nate Anderson is seeing his recruiting heat up in a major way in the past month. The surehanded pass catcher has earned a flurry of recent offers coming in from the likes of Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Northern Illinois, Dartmouth, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Western Michigan and Kent State. Anderson (6-0, 180) might be the best route runner in his class. He made 50 grabs for 1,130 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2020 for a 10-2 Homestead club.
A half-dozen IHSAA recruits on the line right now
1. Landon Livingston (Leo 6-5, 290 Jr. OL) — Straight mauler with flawless fundamentals.
New offers: Minnesota, Iowa, Tulane
2. Ashton Craig (Lawrenceburg 6-5, 265 Jr. OL) — Footwork, technique and tenacity.
New offers: Indiana, Northwestern, Cincinnati, Baylor, Wake Forest, Dartmouth, Boston College
3. Kiel Eldridge (Heritage 6-5, 235 Jr. DE) — Best rush end you don’t know about yet, but need to ASAP.
New offers: Purdue, Arizona State, Cincinnati, Ball State, Bowling Green, Western Michigan
4. Demetrious Allen (Leo 6-7, 235 Jr. DL) — Just scratching the surface on his monster potential
New offers: Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Toledo, Northern Illinois, Ball State
5. Trevor Lauck (Roncalli 6-6, 265 Soph. OL) — Looking to be a Blue Chipper by the end of the summer
New offers: Kentucky, Cincinnati
6. Popeye Williams (Westfield 6-4, 235 Jr. DE) — Mad talent, maximum upside
New offers: Purdue, Minnesota