STATE CHAMPS! SCOUT TEAM: Michigan Football Recruiting Notebook — Miami (Ohio) wraps up big-play threat in GRCC’s Jace Williams
The big play receiver is a cherished piece of any recruiting class.
Miami (Ohio) just got its next one.
Grand Rapids Catholic Central senior wide receiver Jace Williams committed to Miami (Ohio) last week, giving the Red Hawks a genuine game-changer of a threat in the vertical passing game. He’s a home-run threat on fly routes and can shake and bake in the open field when he gets the ball in space. In other words, he a constant headache for opposing defensive coordinators.
GRCC won a D4 state championship last season with Williams starring on offense, hauling in three touchdown grabs in the state finals. Back on Friday, GRCC claimed a league title with a 28-27 comeback overtime victory against Grand Rapids South Christian.
Williams (6-foot-3, 190 pounds) is one of the state’s best two-sport athletes, also excelling on the basketball court. By choosing Miami (Ohio), he turned his back on the Big Ten; Michigan State, Nebraska, Indiana and Iowa all offered and were recruiting him hard.
News & Notes
• The No. 1 offensive player in the state, West Bloomfield senior running back, Donovan Edwards, cut his list of scholarship offers to a Top 7 of Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Penn State and Michigan.
• Grosse Pointe South junior cornerback Will Johnson, the top prospect in the state’s Class of 2022, announced he will be visiting the University of Michigan for game this fall. His dad Deon played in the secondary for the Wolverines.
• Belleville junior blue chip safety Myles Rowser earned an Alabama offer last week.
• Grand Rapids Catholic Central junior safety Nolan Ziegler was awarded his fourth star in the recruiting game last week. Ziegler is committed to Notre Dame.
• Southfield A&T senior defensive end Caleb Banks de-committed from Arizona State over the weekend. Michigan and Michigan State both offered and are back in play for his services.
• Portage Central junior linebacker Tyler Stolsky recently picked up his first two offers from Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan.
• Grand Haven junior offensive lineman Ashton Lepo recently scooped his first four offers from Purdue, Louisville, Central Michigan and Toledo.
Five West Bloomfield recruits to know:
• Jordan Hoskins (6-0, 205 Sr. LB) — Heart and soul of the L-Boyz D, a tackling machine.
• Kyle Johnson (6-1 190 Jr. S) — Maybe the most value of any prospect in the Lakers talent pool right now, a quite assassin out of the secondary.
• Brandon Davis Swain (6-3, 220 Fr. DE) — Pass rush prodigy who just snared an offer from Michigan.
• Kari Jackson (6-1, 215 Fr. LB) — Blue Chipper in the making sideline to sideline.
• Ryan Ross (6-0, 295 Fr. OL) — A total Boss Hogg in the trenches, the definition of a diaper dandy.